Thursday, August 6, 2009

August Month Preview

August is typically a dumping ground for studios to release a bunch of movies they know are crap, but hope they can make a quick buck off of. This year, it doesn't appear to be much different, yet there are still several wide release movies that I cannot wait to see.

August 7
G.I. Joe

I loved G.I. Joe when I was a kid, so no matter how bad the advance buzz on this movie is, I will be there on opening weekend. Does the film look bad? Yes, it looks godawful, and the fact that the director of The Mummy and Van Helsing is at the helm does not bode well for the film. But Dennis Quaid is usually good, and even if he isn’t, the film does feature Sienna Miller in a skin tight jumpsuit, so it cannot be all bad. Right? Anticipation Level: 5

Julie and Julia
I love Amy Adams and Meryl Streep, so even if this movie about cooking does not really look like my type of film, I will definitely see it. With those two in it, it cannot possibly be all that bad. Plus, the preview for the film looks rather amusing, and even though I wouldn’t count Nora Ephron as a great director, she knows her way around a chick flick. Anticipation Level: 7.

A Perfect Getaway
David Twohy is a talented director, even if the results do not always show on screen. Pitch Black was a very good low budget film, and Below was even better, even if no one ever saw the film. After the disaster that was The Chronicles of Riddick, Twohy is going back to something more modest with A Perfect Getaway. The film has a wonderful, tense trailer, and Steve Zahn, Milla Jovovich, Timothy Olyphant and Marley Shelton are all talented. Anticipation Level: 7.

August 14
Bandslam

Yet another high school “Battle of the Bands” movie, this one with Vanessa Hudgens – the least talented major cast member of the High School Musical movies. I cannot say that there is any reason that I could see myself watching this. Anticipation Level: 1.

District 9
The preview for this movie looks wonderful. An advanced alien race crashes land on earth, and is held captive for decades, even though they just want to go home. Cannot say I know much more about it other than that, and that Peter Jackson is a producer of the film. I have been waiting for this one for a while now. Anticipation Level: 9.

The Goods
Jeremy Piven doing what he does best – acting like a complete ass. The preview for the movie looks rather amusing, so I am sure I will catch up with the film at some point or another – especially since the supporting cast includes Ving Rhame, David Koechner and Ed Helms, but it’s not one I will rush out to see. Anticipation Level: 4.

The Time Traveller’s Wife
I absolutely loved the best selling novel that this film is based on, and with Eric Bana and Rachel McAdams in the lead roles, my interest is definitely peaked. What concerns me is how often this movie has been delayed and the fact that the only thing I have seen by director Robert Schwenke was the subpart thriller Flightplan. Still, I do really want to see this one. Anticipation Level: 8.

August 21
Inglorious Basterds
Far and away my most anticipated film this month. The reviews out of Cannes may have been somewhat mixed, but the people I trust the most think this could be Tarantino’s masterpiece. While I may sometimes think that Tarantino has to grow up a little, I cannot honestly say that I have ever watched one of his films and not absolutely loved it. The preview is great, and I cannot wait to see this one. Anticipation Level: 10.

Postgrad
Alexis Bledel is adorable, and I always love Michael Keaton, but this rather bland looking comedy about a girl graduating from college and not knowing what to do looks quite bad. I may see it if I am incredibly bored, but I think I may just go see Inglorious Basterds again. Anticipation Level: 2.

Shorts
I love Robert Rodriguez, and at least the first two Spy Kids movies were a lot of fun. But the third one, not to mention Shark Boy and Lava Girl or whatever the hell it was called sucked. I cannot be too hard on a man who tries to make movies to satisfy his kids, but that doesn’t mean I have to see the result. Anticipation Level: 3.

August 28
The Final Destination

The Final Destination movies have all been a lot of fun, since they basically consist of one brutal, funny death scene after another, done with skill, style and humor. The fact that this one is going to be in 3-D makes it a must see. High art, I am sure it isn’t. But I’ll still be there opening weekend. Anticipation Level: 8.

Halloween 2
In my mind, Rob Zombie is the most original American director working in the horror movie genre today. His first three films – House of 1,000 Corpses, The Devil’s Rejects and Halloween – were increasingly great horror films. I am interested to see what he does with this sequel, although the part I valued about the original – the opening hour which functioned as a backstory for Michael Myers – will be absent, so I am a little wary. Still, cannot wait though. Anticipation Level: 9.

Taking Woodstock
I will follow director Ang Lee anywhere, so even if this film got murderer at Cannes this year, it is still one that I am looking forward to. The preview looks hilarious, with Dmitri Martin, Emile Hirsh, Liev Schreiber and Imelda Stauton all making me laugh out loud. Even if it doesn’t turn out to be another Ang Lee masterpiece, it should at least be fun. Anticipation Level: 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment